REAP - Rural Energy for America Program
Who is eligible?
Farmers - Individual or entity directly engaged in agricultural production where 50% or greater of its gross income is derived from agricultural production. Incorporating the operation as an LLC or otherwise can ensure that your farm exceeds this threshold.
What activities are eligible?
Construction of renewable energy systems (wind, solar, renewable biomass, micro-hydro, geothermal) or energy efficiency improvements that will benefit an agricultural production facility. Residences cannot be tied to projects. Technologies must be commercially available and feasible. Grants can only go toward post-application purchases/installations.
How much, and how is it awarded?
Applicants may qualify for a grant for 25% of eligible project costs, limited to the grant maximums. Awards are competitive, and notification of award typically comes within 6 weeks of application submission deadline. The award is delivered as a reimbursement after project purchases have been made. Submitting an application does not constitute a requirement to complete the proposed project.
Renewable Energy-- Minimum grant: $2,500; Maximum grant: $500,000
Energy Efficiency-- Minimum grant: $1,500; Maximum grant: $250,000
When is the next deadline?
October 31, 2018
How can WNC EnergyCAP help?
- Over-the-phone or on-site guidance and consulting on project options
- Connection with energy auditors, energy efficiency professionals, renewable energy installers
- Application assistance (see below)
WNC energyCAP services for REAP grant assistance are free for farmers and rural small businesses in the 30 counties/units of Western North Carolina.
How to Apply
WNC energyCAP REAP Application Completion Service
WNC energyCAP completes REAP applications on behalf of applicants in NC, SC, and GA for a small fee, which can often be paid for by the energy installer. Visit our REAP Application Completion Service Page to learn more.
Self-Directed REAP Application Completion
The REAP application process can be difficult to navigate for first-time applicants. For those who decide to complete the process on their own, we have attempted to streamline the process with the following 7-step process.
1. DUNS number obtained from D&B website (takes 1-2 days) to be used in the SAM.gov registration process. Save the summary page for use with future steps. (You may already have a DUNS. Use the DUNS Lookup to find out.)
2. Account (username and password) on SAM.gov . Save this login information for use with future steps.
3. Three years of business tax returns (or fewer if a new business/farm).
4. Quote/report from energy installer and agreements, contracts, etc. for the project being considered (as well as an energy audit for energy efficiency projects).
if your project exceeds $200,000 in project costs, a third-party feasibility study is required as well.
5. Documentation of matching funds for the project (a bank/investment statement or loan commitment letter that shows you have funds for the project).
if your project exceeds $200,000 in project costs, past, current, and pro forma financial statements are required as well.
6. Register your Entity on SAM.gov after you obtain the DUNS number and after you obtain a SAM.gov username and password. We can assist you in navigating this process either over-the-phone or in-person. If you’d like to take a first look at it yourself, see the “Quick Start Guide for New Grantee Registration” for instructions on navigating the SAM.gov website. (it takes about a week to return a grantee registration number, which is needed before step #7 can be completed.)
7. Complete the appropriate REAP application forms. Once you've completed or have in-hand all of the above, you can start filling out the REAP application form, as well as the required additional sub-forms.
Form RD 4280-3A: Projects under $80,000.
Form RD 4280-3B: Projects between $80,000 and $200,000.
Form RD 4280-3C: Projects greater than $200,000.
Form SF-424: All projects.
Form SF-424D: All projects.
Form RD-1940-20: All projects.
Form AD-3030: All projects.
Form SF-424C: All projects.